post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Ford Ranger Takes Center Stage At CIAS

Already underway, a few new pickup trucks took center stage at the 2018 Canadian International Autoshow (CIAS) including the new all-new 2019 Ford Ranger that’s destined for North America. We were lucky enough to get up close and personal with a Ranger XLT featuring Magnetic body paint in Supercab configuration and equipped with the FX4 Off-Road package.

Much of the exterior remains unchanged from what we’ve already seen at its initial global debut in Detroit, though the Ranger XLT does have a unique chrome and black grille design compared to what you’d find on the Orange Lariat.

Getting up close to the Ranger’s truck bed, we got a good look at its tow hitch and indicator plug outlet along with a spare tire mounted to the underside. The there’s the FX4 Off-Road package’s bash plates and aggressive all-terrain tires. We unfortunately didn’t get low enough to photograph the skid plates that are supposed to be included in the package.

Moving to the inside via a set of full sized doors, we’re treated to a view of spacious and slightly bolstered front seats. Which are the complete opposite of what you’d find in the rear passengers seats, which I did not manage to fit into. Perhaps my 5 foot 6 frame just wasn’t trying hard enough to get in, but most will have to squeeze themselves inside at an angle if they have any hopes of closing those suicide doors. At least Ford curved the roof for more headroom and there’s even headrests for those unfortunate enough to sit there.

Near the end of the day, Ford had to move the Ranger off stage and that required starting the turbocharged 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine. We unfortunately missed the initial engine start-up, but it was relatively quiet at idle and when it rolled of the stage. Perhaps those looking for a louder sound may want to look at what the aftermarket exhaust companies have to offer.

Last edited by Ford Ranger News; 02-22-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 AM

The truck is looking good, although its surprising to see another autoshow come and go and still Ford remains silent about the power offering in the Ranger. Seeing as how the Raptor variant is only cranking out 200hp, I'm beginning to worry that the standard Ranger wont even match that. A pickup, midsize or not just wont satisfy the needs of most drivers with less than 200 ponies. The range topping Colorado offers 308hp.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Outside of children, nobody will be able to sit in the back comfortably so it'll just be used for storage most days. Which seems kinda redundant when you have a large truck bed in the back.
Ford may be saving the specs for lager auto shows like the upcoming Geneva motor show or they may release it closer to the sale date. I'd like to find out the engine specs as well to see which one is more suitable for me because I doubt only one power train will be offered.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 08:09 AM

I think the lack of back seats on the baseline Ranger, will inevitably have people upgrading to the larger cab sizes. Even though this is a midsize pickup, I don't see a lot of people being interested in basically a two door. Hopefully we learn more about the pricing of the new Ranger, so we can start calculating what it'll cost to spec it properly.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 10:47 AM

The Ranger Raptor seems to be limited to certain markets only, so that could be the range topping engine there. Whereas the 2.0-liter twin-turbocharged inline-4 diesel engine could be a normal engine in the Ranger for those in the States who are used to seeing higher numbers. May seem unfair, but possible since we still don't know what the power-train offerings are.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:15 AM

Well hopefully we get some confirmation of specs soon, because it looks like both the Ranger and Raptor variant are releasing with only one powertrain. If this ends up being the case, I wonder how many people will wait for Ford to expand upon them. I don't know why Ford would lock the turbo diesel behind a region, but perhaps its in an effort to test the market.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
The Ranger Raptor seems to be limited to certain markets only, so that could be the range topping engine there. Whereas the 2.0-liter twin-turbocharged inline-4 diesel engine could be a normal engine in the Ranger for those in the States who are used to seeing higher numbers. May seem unfair, but possible since we still don't know what the power-train offerings are.
they have no reason to not sell it in Canada and the rest of North America
at the very least they should launch it in markets like Texas before other states but at the same time those who drive in cities like New York love these, similar to how much they love the RAM Rebel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 AM

At this point the diesel engine has only been confirmed in the Raptor and specifically for the Asia Pacific market. That leads me to believe we will see a slightly different version here in North America. At this point we only know about the Raptors Ecoboost engine but fingers crossed we get some version of that new twin-turbo diesel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Well at least Americans will know they can expect it, the Ranger Raptor was spied testing in the U.S.
The U.S. doesn't provide them anywhere special to test it, many other places around the world that are better, the middle east being one of them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 AM

Well the Wildtrak was spotted testing in Michigan, so I'm not sure that's a confirmation that those models will be available here. Not sure why they would go through the effort of masking it however, if that didn't indicate a reveal down the line.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page