1Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Interested in the new Ford Ranger

Hello from the Northern Virginia area. I'm a 'truck guy' that is interested in the new Ranger, so this looks like the place to be. My current truck is a 2014 Toyota Tacoma double-cab off-road which I really like a lot after about 75k miles of use...reliable so far, fits down narrow hunting trails, very capable off road, and small enough to find parking if I have to venture closer to DC for work (the main reason I don't have a F-150). A few dislikes about my current truck though...light on power, bad fuel economy (17-18 MPG tops), and an extremely cheap/thin pain job that scratches very easily.

My vehicle before the Tacoma was a 2013 Ford SHO with the performance package, so I have an idea of what Ford's Ecoboost engines bring to the table...the ability to easily make lots extra power. In the case of the 3.5L, just a canned ECU tune returned a significant HP/TQ increase and the same company I got that tune from is doing similar things with the 2.3L engine in existing platforms...so I'm confident they'll offer something for the Ranger shortly after it hits the streets.

My plan is to lurk on this forum, test drive a Ranger once they're on lots, and decide if it justifies swapping out the trusty old Tacoma. Thanks!
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 07:54 AM

Hello there and welcome to the forum. It wont be long until we see just how well the new T6 platform does in North America. It's the best selling pickup over in Australia, and they have a highly competitive pickup segment. I agree that tunes are inevitable, especially since Ford is only offering one powertrain option for launch. While the Ranger might not offer the same level of reliability as the Tacoma, I do feel like Toyota struggles to make appealing looking vehicles.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Welcome to the community. Ford seems to have taken most of the right steps for this new generation Ranger, although the Raptor variant is a bit disappointing. I don't think pricing has been confirmed yet for NA, but there is no way that model is going to sell for +$50k here.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 04:56 PM

Welcome!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

The GEN2 Tacoma (2005-2015) seems solid in terms of reliability and I planned to consider a GEN3 (2016+) based on my experience with the 2014. However, from what I've seen/heard the GEN3 Tacoma isn't all that great. It isn't even on my radar as a potential replacement for my current truck. Right now the Ranger is the only option that strikes me as a possibility and I have my fingers crossed that it is good enough to make me buy one.

As for the Raptor variant, there's just no way I'm dropping more than $40k on a mid-size truck. I tend to use my trucks like trucks and I just can't see myself bombing trails or doing work with a $40k+ vehicle. Even around the $40k point I'd need to see the 2.7L Ecoboost offered in order to consider it.

I'm going to be patient and see how things play out.

My current truck:

Last edited by dmharvey79; 09-26-2018 at 09:10 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharvey79 View Post
The GEN2 Tacoma (2005-2015) seems solid in terms of reliability and I planned to consider a GEN3 (2016+) based on my experience with the 2014. However, from what I've seen/heard the GEN3 Tacoma isn't all that great. It isn't even on my radar as a potential replacement for my current truck. Right now the Ranger is the only option that strikes me as a possibility and I have my fingers crossed that it is good enough to make me buy one.

As for the Raptor variant, there's just no way I'm dropping more than $40k on a mid-size truck. I tend to use my trucks like trucks and I just can't see myself bombing trails or doing work with a $40k+ vehicle. Even around the $40k point I'd need to see the 2.7L Ecoboost offered in order to consider it.

I'm going to be patient and see how things play out.

My current truck:
I can't get past some of the cost cutting efforts they made. The drum brakes are reliable but walking up to one I can't help but take notice of it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoFan View Post
I can't get past some of the cost cutting efforts they made. The drum brakes are reliable but walking up to one I can't help but take notice of it.
Agreed, and I was especially surprised to see them remain on 'the all new third generation'. In all honesty though, I have zero issues with the brakes...then again I don't dive into too many corners under threshold braking with the old Tacoma, haha.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Agreed, and I was especially surprised to see them remain on 'the all new third generation'. In all honesty though, I have zero issues with the brakes...then again I don't dive into too many corners under threshold braking with the old Tacoma, haha.
Toyota knows how to play the game and justification for it came down to keeping water out when on trails coming out of large pools of water for increased reliability.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I've really been contemplating the new Ranger, and I even talked a dealership into ordering a truck I built out on the Ford site, but the more I think about it I'll probably hold off and hang onto my current truck for a while. I still plan to go check out the Ranger when it arrives but it will have to really impress me in order for me to make the switch. The Ranger definitely looks like a nice truck but my current truck has done me well to date...not in any rush to get rid of it. That might all change when I get behind the wheel of the Ranger, who knows, and I'm pretty sure a Ranger is the only truck that will replace my Tacoma at some point.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I've really been contemplating the new Ranger, and I even talked a dealership into ordering a truck I built out on the Ford site, but the more I think about it I'll probably hold off and hang onto my current truck for a while. I still plan to go check out the Ranger when it arrives but it will have to really impress me in order for me to make the switch. The Ranger definitely looks like a nice truck but my current truck has done me well to date...not in any rush to get rid of it. That might all change when I get behind the wheel of the Ranger, who knows, and I'm pretty sure a Ranger is the only truck that will replace my Tacoma at some point.
I won't be one bit surprised if people who own a Tacoma or wanted to, just stay within Toyota territory. Ford has been late to the game after leaving for many years and there's no telling of how well they'll perform this time around. Still interested in seeing what initial sales numbers and buyer feedback will be like.
dmharvey79 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page