post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Trailer Brake Controller

I need information on how to add a trailer brake controller to my vehicle. On my previous Ford F150 there was a cable under the dash that contained the 4 wires necessary to connect a controller to the trailer connector at the rear. I have not found any information about a cable to connect a controller to and, in fact, the Helms wiring diagram does not show any wires connecting to the 7-pin trailer connector other than lights and ground. How can I add a brake controller to this truck? This is a problem for me as the un-braked tow limit is much lower than my trailer when loaded. So, if I can't find a way to add a controller the truck is very limited in its usefulness to me and I can't think of a way to tow my trailer other than getting another vehicle.

Thanks for any input that will help me to solve this dilemma.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

More info

I have had several conversations with Ford and the bottom line, apparently, is that there is no provision to add a brake controller on the Ranger. This is ridiculous! They offer a "Trailer Tow Package" with a Class 3 or 4 hitch and a 7 pin electrical connector, but not provision for a brake controller. The Helms Service Manual set does not include wiring information for the 7 pin connector, only the 4 pin one, so I have no idea if the proper connections are there in order to use an after-market controller. I need to know the pin numbers for the various signals on the 7 pin connector and would appreciate it very much if someone could provide that for me.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 AM

I faced the same dilemma. The Solution was a remote, blue tooth electronic break controller. The Controller unit attaches to the trailer frame/tongue, just behind propane tanks and in front of batteries. The remote and unit plugs in to 12 volts on dash and is used to make the necessary adjustments. I used this on our 7 week road trip across US, and it worked just fine. Model is Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Control. Very Easy to install. Drove 7000 miles with it.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for that information. I ran across that controller while trying to find a solution to my problem and wondered if it was any good. I appreciate the help.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Further looking into the Helms manual shows that there are supposedly connections builtin for a trailer brake controller. Their schematics show the connectins for the 7 pin connector, but the pin numbers given do not match the industry standard for the 7 pin connectors. I have not had a chance since discovering this to check out the presence of the proper signals on the proper pins. The connections must be correct as the lights work fine. The wiring diagram also states that there is a cable for the connectin of an aftermarket brake controller under the dash just like was the case in my 1999 F150. So. at my first chance Ineed to get that cable out and check the connections to the trailer connector. Stay tuned for further developments!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page