post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darion View Post
I think one of the main criticisms of the Tacoma is its price. But that doesn't seem to have impacted its sales by any significant margin. The circumstances are a little different for the Ranger however, as its a brand new platform for the NA market. People wont be willing to justify the same price for an unproven model.
That's the power of branding. The Tacoma is analog compared to todays cars yet it costs a lot and sells well. That sure says a lot about where a product can stand. Don't always need to chase the latest in features.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Despite not having all the bells and whistles featured on other pickups, the Tacoma has proven itself to be both reliable and capable. Those are the selling points for pickup owners, and the T6 platform has been well established in foreign markets. Keep in mind they have been improving on this model of the Ranger over the past 7 years.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:58 PM

The Tacoma is very overpriced for what you get.

-Rear drum brakes
-Horrible infotainment (No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto)
-A six speed auto transmission
-Not very much torque from the new 3.5L engine
-No offering of ventilated seats
-"Legs out" flat driving position (way too car like)

The Tacoma is basically an old design that Toyota has convinced people to keep buying because it's "reliable". The Nissan Frontier is even worse, but at least it's cheap.

If I had to buy a midsize truck today, it would be the GMC Canyon, but there are a few things about that truck that I'm not really wild about. I'm hoping Ford has done their homework and the Ranger will be the vehicle I'm craving. There is a lot of room for improvement with the Canyon/Colorado, Tacoma, and Frontier.....Ford does trucks REALLY REALLY well....so I'm hoping their expertise delivers a superior product.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM

Well the Ranger is the best selling pickup in Australia, and they have quite a few more exclusive utes there. I do agree that most of the components/tech on the Tacoma is pretty outdated in inferior to what's offered by most American brands.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Toyota has been chugging along because of their reputation for reliability even though their cars are boring and constantly called vanilla, still things like the Tacoma sells. If Ford keeps a tight reign on quality control of the Ranger from Factory, then it could easily overtake the Tacoma because it has so much more to offer. But recalls will make people shy away.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Toyota has been chugging along because of their reputation for reliability even though their cars are boring and constantly called vanilla, still things like the Tacoma sells. If Ford keeps a tight reign on quality control of the Ranger from Factory, then it could easily overtake the Tacoma because it has so much more to offer. But recalls will make people shy away.
Not true, they're turning around and already we're seeing it happen even on very mainstream levels. The new Camry for example is one of them.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I would argue that for the first time in years, that Toyota is actually infusing their vehicles with some more unique and sporty styling. The completely redesigned Corolla is big step forward for the platform, and I would assume we'll see that creativity work its way into their pickups as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page