post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

8 solid characteristics and 1 misstep- NY Daily News

A new article has just been released by NY Daily News, which gives an overview of all the things that Ford has done right with the new Ranger, albeit with one caveat. I agree that its a risky move to only offer one engine configuration, when we know that consumers now more than ever want options to choose from. https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/st...icle-1.4044497
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:13 AM

I think the Ranger still leads the segment in the areas that matter most to those in the market for a new midsize. Its got a great list of standard equipment and its going to have class leading aftermarket support, directly from the dealership.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Not exactly a reputable source for automotive information. Fords gone with a monospec configuration to reduce the risk of launching a brand new model in a brand new market. Yeah the Ranger has been here before, but the previous gen was vastly different from what they are delivering for 2019.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

I think omitting a two door model is hopefully only temporary. I think Ford may come to realize that there is still a demand/audience for a base two door manual variant.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 PM

As people buy pickups as an SUV alternative I think its better to prioritize 4-door models just for the sake of reducing costs right away especially during a time that Ford is making major changes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 AM

If sales are strong for launch you can expect that Ford will expand upon both body styles and powertrain options. The recent huge cuts they've made to their NA lineup, suggests how skeptical they are of the market and the majority of new purchases are purely crossovers/SUV's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

I suppose they are just catering to market demand, and attempting to negate some of the risk in launching a new platform here. The thing is that this exact configuration is already offered in foreign markets, so it shouldn't cost Ford much to adapt it for NA.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 AM

Emission regulations and safety standards are much different between markets. What may be cost effective for them to produce overseas, might not be nearly as profitable for them to offer here.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Since the T6 platform has been out for years in other markets, its also easier for Ford to expand upon it. When it first launched there weren't Wildtrak and Raptor variants available.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM

As more products (Bronc) join the platform it should get even better especially with a mid-production cycle refresh. Apparently the new Explorer will be T6 based as well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page