1Likes

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

It's hard to tell if that spy photo is indeed a Wildtrak, but fingers crossed that it is. I'm not sure if that's a confirmation that we'll see more of the Asia Pacific models of the Ranger come to NA, but I'm all for a wider choice of trims/packages. I think its inevitable that Ford will bring the diesel to North America, but they may test it in other markets first.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 AM

I didn't think Ford would have any interest bringing these Australian models to North America. Seeing as how they are likely to have different powertrains, I didn't think Ford would have interest in an additional trim level following the Raptor reveal. There are two rumored engines for the Wildtrak, the first option is a 2.2 liter four cylinder Duratorq TDCi, putting out 158 horsepower and a torque of 284 lb-ft. Another choice is a 3.2 liter five cylinder Duratorq TDCi which can produce 197 hp of power and 347 lb-ft. There are some rumors of a new hybrid engine being prepared for Wildtrak. This could be a 2.3 liter turbocharged EcoBoost. Fuel economy is expected to be around 28 mpg on highways and 22 mpg for cities.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I didn't think Ford would have any interest bringing these Australian models to North America. Seeing as how they are likely to have different powertrains, I didn't think Ford would have interest in an additional trim level following the Raptor reveal. There are two rumored engines for the Wildtrak, the first option is a 2.2 liter four cylinder Duratorq TDCi, putting out 158 horsepower and a torque of 284 lb-ft. Another choice is a 3.2 liter five cylinder Duratorq TDCi which can produce 197 hp of power and 347 lb-ft. There are some rumors of a new hybrid engine being prepared for Wildtrak. This could be a 2.3 liter turbocharged EcoBoost. Fuel economy is expected to be around 28 mpg on highways and 22 mpg for cities.
I heard that hybrid model will come to market around 2020, at the same time we should be seeing a Mustang hybrid and F150 hybrid. As Ford claims.... " invest $700M at Flat Rock and 700 jobs"
Massive development!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Hopefully Ford can deliver with all these hybrid powertrains coming to their lineup. I think its safe to assume that the turbocharged Ecoboost will be the engine of choice. I saw they recently unveiled a new EcoBlue engine, but I believe its only being put into the Edge...for now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 AM

I don't think Ford will risk putting an untested engine in any of their brand new models. Maybe down the line, once its proven itself in the Edge, we will see them expand it into other vehicles. I will say that the fact it runs quieter at idle than a typical diesel, will be of interest to many pickup owners.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darion View Post
Hopefully Ford can deliver with all these hybrid powertrains coming to their lineup. I think its safe to assume that the turbocharged Ecoboost will be the engine of choice. I saw they recently unveiled a new EcoBlue engine, but I believe its only being put into the Edge...for now.
It would have been nice to see them make gasoline engines more fuel efficient but i welcome the whole host of hybrids they want to bring to market.
the biggest thing to support this move will be pricing, once its priced right and consumers can see the value in getting one, they will sell.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Most people don't buy a pickup with fuel economy in mind, and if they do then that usually results in choosing a less powerful trim. With the implementation of hybrid powertrains we may find that this compromise is no longer needed. Considering the immediate torque and added efficiency they provide, it should aid in boosting the sales of pickups.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page