post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Light Off-Roading

Hello everyone,

I plan to do a bit of light off-roading with the new Ranger and I'm wondering if the standard base model with no additional features will be able to handle those bumpy trails to a camp site or if I'll need to spring for the off-road package.

Can't seem to find details of this package and what it entails so I can only take a guess and assume it comes with beefier tires and tow hooks in case you get stuck. It's not from a lack of trying as it's not available even for the F-150. At least not one that I can find.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM

The FX4 variant of the Ranger comes standard with Fords Terrain Management System, the same found in the in the F150 Raptor. This alters the trucks off-roading performance in real time. This trim also comes with an electronic locking rear differential and a 2 speed 4 wheel drive system. All in all the Ranger seems to be quite the capable little truck off road.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:54 AM

Best place to looks is Ford's own press release and it says the X4 Off-Road Package comes with off-road-tuned shocks, all-terrain tires, a frame-mounted heavy-gauge steel front bash plate, frame-mounted skid plates and badges. So you were right about the tires.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:40 PM

The FX-45 Off Road trim introduces Fords "Trail Control" tech, which handles the acceleration and braking of the vehicle to allow the driver to focus on steering and navigating difficult terrain. The terrain system found in the Raptor and included in this truck, allows the driver to choose from a variety of different modes including: grass, gravel and snow, mud and ruts and sand. Pretty interesting tech, we'll have to wait and see how it affects off road performance in the Ranger.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:57 AM

It's pretty much cruise control for driving off road and it'll keep you at a constant speed between 2 and 24 km/h. Can't imagine why I would ever need it off road because the gradients where this would work better than your foot on the pedal should probably be reserved for wranglers.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
It's pretty much cruise control for driving off road and it'll keep you at a constant speed between 2 and 24 km/h. Can't imagine why I would ever need it off road because the gradients where this would work better than your foot on the pedal should probably be reserved for wranglers.
At the end of the day its a pick-up which has become as luxurious and feature packed as SUV's where as the Wrangler is more of a hardcore off roader that sticks more to its roots. Ford and other pick-up truck makers have to do this, its part of the truck experience.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 08:06 AM

You're probably right that the Ranger will never see off road terrain like a Wrangler would, but since Ford is offering an "off- road" trim, they might as well implement the new technology that's being utilized in the Raptor. Pickups at their core are utility vehicles, so they need to have plenty of capability, even if its something the average driver would never use.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:24 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some serious aftermarket modifications by owners, in an effort to make the Ranger an off road machine. With a performance suspension and some larger tires, I think we'll be surprised at what the Ranger will be capable off. I'm looking forward to seeing some drive tests, that really stress the Rangers capabilities both on and off road.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darion View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some serious aftermarket modifications by owners, in an effort to make the Ranger an off road machine. With a performance suspension and some larger tires, I think we'll be surprised at what the Ranger will be capable off. I'm looking forward to seeing some drive tests, that really stress the Rangers capabilities both on and off road.
Doing some minor mods will make sense but with having seen the Ranger Raptor there's no point, anyone serious about getting an off-roader will wait for the Ranger Raptor. Nothing we can do will match what a car maker like Ford can.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 AM

Yeah those who want a truck with off road capability will go for the Raptor variant. The Raptor Ranger has an assortment of improvements for off-roading, including Fox Racing Shox dampers, dent-resistant composite fenders, an integrated tow bar with tow hooks, BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires, and the F-150 Raptor’s off-roading modes. More important it looks as though the Raptor comes standard with an all-new Watt’s linkage rear suspension with coilover springs. This helps ensure rear axle lateral stability off-road while also improving ride and handling!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page