post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

HSV Colorado SportsCat Drag Race

Motoring.com wanted to see how the Ranger Raptor and HSV SportsCat performed against one another in the 1/4 mile. While the vast majority of owners won't really be interested in these kinds of figures, the numbers are a bit disappointing. On the track the SportsCat ran the 400m sprint in 17.8 seconds, while the Raptor did it in 17.9. They also wanted to do the same test off road and the Raptor ended up coming out on top. You can check out the video here.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 02:35 AM

Eventually something similar from GM could happen on American soil. Already they revealed a Colorado LR2 that brings it much closer to a Raptor-like product. The only thing that remains is seeing how consumers respond.

At that point, at the very least it should be small shops that start importing HSV parts. Fingers crossed...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:55 AM

With Ram releasing the TRX, I think its only a matter of time before Chevy does a high performance trim for one of their pickups in house. As great as HSV are, I think as a mass market vehicle people would have an easier time buying into a factory made high performance tuck.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 09:04 AM

HSV come with fairly significant powertrain warranties, the only real issue is cost and availability. Hopefully with so many new high performance models we see greater aftermarket support because currently its a back lacking.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

I would argue that most pickup owners don't really have that much interest in aftermarket modifications. Aside from maybe a lift kit and exhaust, I find that most keep their trucks fairly stock. And with prices at an all time high, more and more are probably going the route of financing/leasing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Hence why I mentioned parts imported from local shops because that's on the lowest end of us getting anything HSV.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 AM

I don't even know if HSV parts are available outside of Australia. If anything hopefully they have shown Chevy that there is plenty of room for performance improvements on their models. The new ZR2 Bison is looking like a step in the right direction.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:46 PM

Last i heard Holden/HSV dealers never wanted to import parts but only recently have we seen GM put a stronger emphasis on performance in the U.S.
IMO by leaving out the U.S. market they're missing out on a lot, its money left on the table. If not, equivalent parts will come out from American brands.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:02 AM

Aside from maybe lift kits and tires, I don't think many pickup owners have all that much interest in aftermarket mods. And as we move towards smaller turbocharged engines, tunes wont really become necessary for improved performance. It's really just fuel economy that we're waiting to see a jump in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 PM

in that case it should come down to more common mods more to do with suspension and wheels/tires.

I feel Ford needs to do something to push buyers into the culture of personalization without it these will be rather dull.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page