post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Navara Dark Sky Concept

Came across a really neat concept of the Navara that was developed in collaboration with the European Space Agency. It was designed specifically to tow a special trailer carrying a telescope module off road, so its got a bunch of unique changes.
Quote:
Big knobby tires were chosen for both the truck and trailer in this case. It also has a light bar and discretely integrated winch to help it escape anywhere it goes. Lowering light pollution around the telescope for better viewing was key, so Nissan integrated special red lighting — this kind of lighting is supposed to be the least disruptive to night vision. An upgraded Nissan ProPilot Assist system helps it perform better off-road too. The truck can now scan surrounding terrain for an ideal trailer parking spot and align the hitch with the trailer too.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM

I hear Nissan is working on a second generation Narava/Frontier and they might be playing with its capability time around, so this setup on the next generation version should be even better.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:21 AM

That's a pretty slick looking Nissan, and its a bit of a shame that the Navara isn't offered here. Mercedes must be pretty impressed with it to use as the basis for their new X Class. Dig the integrated lighting systems.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

We have the Frontier but I do agree that the Navara is a sharper looking truck. I'm a bit surprised that Mercedes has pushed on with the X Class because I can't foresee the market being very big for a truck like that. You're already getting quite a lot of luxury in a new F150 or Ram 1500.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
We have the Frontier but I do agree that the Navara is a sharper looking truck. I'm a bit surprised that Mercedes has pushed on with the X Class because I can't foresee the market being very big for a truck like that. You're already getting quite a lot of luxury in a new F150 or Ram 1500.
that won't last for long depending on when we see the new Frontier design and after seeing the new Titan, I can't wait.
the more design cues we can get from the Titan, the more stand out this Frontier generation will be on a global scale.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:19 AM

I think in the future we will be seeing less market specific vehicles, especially as diesel tech takes a backseat. The main reason why Europe gets so many unique models is because North America has very little interest in those engines.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 04:28 PM

China should be a big player if trade deals actually go through and support a partnership, however that might require a different presidential administration, which can then rub off on what Canada does.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

It also looks like we'll be seeing more joint venture vehicles, as there have already been talks of some co developed models from Ford and VW. I think a NA version of the Amarok would be a hit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 08:42 PM

VW just better learn that we want more. Ford and Toyota have understood that by offering performance tiers. I would be all for something with more Audi influence, sort of like this:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:20 AM

It's been odd that basically every new crossover that we've seen from VW has been restricted to Europe. I'm not sure if that's because of the more stringent safety standards here or if they just want to avoid any risk of emission problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page