post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

2020 Jeep Gladiator

Jeep has finally unveiled their new contender for the midsize segment and it's looking to be a solid pickup. It too is coming with just one powertrain for launch, which is a 3.6l V6 that makes 285hp and 260lb-ft of torque. With a towing package it will be capable of 7,650lbs which is even more than the Ranger. They have yet to confirm pricing.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:00 AM

Not impressed how the JL ranked in Euro crash testing but given the differences between it and the Gladiator, I have hope. Haven't ventured into Jeep products but this may be my first.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 AM

Its decent looking but its still going to suffer from the same issues that we see with all FCA products. Namely build quality and reliability issues that are still affecting even their brand new Wrangler and Ram models.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 AM

I would definitely suggest waiting on the first generation model to see what sort of issues arise. I expect its going to be using a lot of components from the Wrangler platform and I've heard the suspension is coming right out of the Ram 1500.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

The new Ram is looking to be a solid truck, and its good that FCA has already begun to implement mild hybrid systems. Reliability/safety concerns have never deterred buyers from the Wrangler, so I doubt that's going to change with the Gladiator.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:14 AM

I have a strong feeling that the Gladiator will probably start close to $40k even in base trim. Thats only a few grand over the current JLU, and a tough pill to swallow for those in the market for a new midsize pickup.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I have a strong feeling that the Gladiator will probably start close to $40k even in base trim. Thats only a few grand over the current JLU, and a tough pill to swallow for those in the market for a new midsize pickup.
Siding with you on that point. My buddy has a 1500 Big Horn and the specs are very similar to the Gladiator we're seeing here.
Essentially it'll be a Wranglerified Big Horn if that makes any sense to you guys.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:28 AM

From a cost comparison I can see that, but I doubt the Gladiator will have any of the luxury features/finishes found on the Big Horn trim. Shots inside the cabin show a nearly identical plastic interior from the JL.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:02 PM

Jeep had the advantage because they offer a version on an entirely different end of the experience. To a purist that means the world. Event to posers and hardparkers.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

At least they have noticeably improved the Gladiators towing/hauling because that's always been an area of hesitation for me with the Wrangler. Bet we will also be seeing some pretty in depth Mopar builds, because FCA buyers just can't leave their vehicles alone.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page