post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Side by side comparison

Was able to find a comparison chart between the Ranger and its competitors. Although the engine and horsepower are estimated based off the engine specs found in other Ford models.

Once we learn a little more about the fuel economy, payload and towing, we'll have an idea at just how strong a candidate the Ranger stands to be.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:32 PM

In terms of power and torque, the new Ford Ranger is a segment leader in both. Sure it may tie with the Chevy in horsepower and the Frontier in torque, but it's all in one vehicle when it comes to the Ranger. One downfall is the higher curb weight compared to the competition. Some people can feel the extra 200 pounds and that's more heft the engine has to move.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBob View Post
In terms of power and torque, the new Ford Ranger is a segment leader in both. Sure it may tie with the Chevy in horsepower and the Frontier in torque, but it's all in one vehicle when it comes to the Ranger. One downfall is the higher curb weight compared to the competition. Some people can feel the extra 200 pounds and that's more heft the engine has to move.
Yeah it can be said that curb weight is an issue but we also have to look at how they might be making up for it elsewhere and here that is done with the better power ti makes over the competition. the next part to this is seeing how well throughout the powerband it uses that power.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 01:49 PM

When it comes to pickups, torque usually comes in at lower rpms though the curve may not always be smooth. Hard to make an accurate guess from just the engine alone unless it's already being used by another model.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 AM

The Ranger is rumored to be using the same 2.3 liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, also found in the Ford Explorer. In the Explorer the engine is rated at 280 horsepower and 310 foot-pounds of torque. The same engine in the Mustang produces 310 hp and 320 lb-ft. We aren't sure as of yet which the Ranger will be closer to.

Last edited by Caine; 02-05-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
The Ranger is rumored to be using the same 2.3 liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine, also found in the Ford Explorer. In the Explorer the engine is rated at 280 horsepower and 310 foot-pounds of torque. The same engine in the Mustang produces 310 hp and 320 lb-ft. We aren't sure as of yet which the Ranger will be closer to.
That won't be nearly as important as how and where it will make power and torque because with different applications come different uses for that power. Especially these days with how much engines can be tuned and altered. I bet it will be this case so much that some components might not be swappable from the Ranger to Mustang, like an alternator for example
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I understand that the powerband between the Ranger and other Ford models is much different and that there components will likely be set up/tuned quite differently. Just a base point to try and guess what we can expect from the Rangers Ecoboost engine. Obviously the Explorer and Mustang aren't as rigidly structured around the utility of towing and payload capacity. I am curious why Ford has only opted to offer a sole engine and transmission out the gate however. I think this has seriously limited the amount of consumers who would be interested in the truck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darion View Post
I understand that the powerband between the Ranger and other Ford models is much different and that there components will likely be set up/tuned quite differently. Just a base point to try and guess what we can expect from the Rangers Ecoboost engine. Obviously the Explorer and Mustang aren't as rigidly structured around the utility of towing and payload capacity. I am curious why Ford has only opted to offer a sole engine and transmission out the gate however. I think this has seriously limited the amount of consumers who would be interested in the truck.
it can help to consolidate where buyers are especially during a time they are relaunching a product
better to limit how much money they put on the line during the early stages and adjust accordingly than to come out swinging with everything they could offer.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM

I guess that makes sense in an effort to save money on early production, but they could've tested what the market wanted with early builds/pre orders. I have a feeling there will be a good number of buyers waiting on an expansion to the what's currently available, such as a diesel engine. We know down the line they will have to offer more engine options or the Ranger will never sell in the volume it requires to be successful.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page