post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Nissan interested in Raptor Rival

So there are some rumours since the global release of the Ranger Raptor that Nissan has interested in making a similar trim for their Navara model. Nissan has recently filed a trademark for the "Navara Off Road" name. No confirmation on when this trail ready variant will arrive, but I'm open to more additions to this segment.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:15 AM

I love the looks of that concept and its no surprise that Nissan has an interest in creating a performance based pickup. It'll be interesting to see what they are capable of delivering with its powertrain, and I wonder if that means that we'll see the Navara finally come to North America.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 AM

Everything is getting more off-road oriented these days; trucks, SUVs, crossovers, etc. No surprise Nissan is jumping in though they're going to need more than a few body pieces to lure away Raptors customers. Mainly the engine portion because the Ranger Raptor's current powertrain leaves a lot to be desired.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Considering the standard Navara comes with 188hp and 333lb-ft torque, it shouldn't take much tuning by Nissan, to get it to surpass the performance offered by the new Ranger Raptor. The real question is still whether or not we will see these models in North America.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:30 AM

If Nissan recently filed for the trademark, we probably won't see the concept model for a while yet and even longer for a production model to go on sale. So the Navara Off Road will not compete against the Ranger Raptor anytime soon. A shame really, because competition fosters advancements.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:04 AM

It would be great to see more performance oriented pickups in this segment and I think its safe if the Ranger Raptor is confirmed for a NA release, that its competitors will follow suit. I've seen a couple of different articles floating around that Nissan has a couple of different midsize models in mind to rival the Raptor. First to market is a big deal, so we'll see how quickly Nissan can get a production model together.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:30 AM

If speed is what Nissan is going for, then they're better off an off-road trim for their current gen Navara, less development needed on their end though it may not be able to compete against a Raptor when it comes to powertrain output.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

The standard Navara isn't far off the specs of the Ranger Raptor, so they could probably get by with a turbocharged engine or tune. Imo they are going to have to tweak the exterior as well, and give it a wider stance.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM

Nissan has Mercedes involved with the Narava which is a great product and I think if Mercedes launches an off-road version of its X-Class we might see the X-Class and this Nissan share more parts than they have with all the other potential trims.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 AM

It goes to show how great of a vehicle the Navara is, if Mercedes chose that platform to build their truck on. At least once Ford confirms the powertrain or availability of a NA Ranger Raptor, then Nissan will have an idea of what sort of performance they will need to deliver.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page