post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 AM

Looks like most of the big truck manufacturers went with some pretty radical redesigns for their 2019MY. Though its odd than only the new Ram is being offered with any sort of hybrid system. Perhaps Ford and Chevy are skipping mild hybrids and jumping right into full systems?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darion View Post
Looks like most of the big truck manufacturers went with some pretty radical redesigns for their 2019MY. Though its odd than only the new Ram is being offered with any sort of hybrid system. Perhaps Ford and Chevy are skipping mild hybrids and jumping right into full systems?
Skipping is not giving the market adequate time to mature. If they could just jump the cue then that would have been done in other segments, which it has not. Fact is, hybrids on all ends play a key role in the green truck market.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

I also don't know how easy the transition would be to jump right into full hybrids, as those models will obviously warrant a much higher base price. Ford still seems pretty focused on their powerstroke engine, which imo isn't really offering much of a boost to fuel economy unless you're okay with the 2 wheel drive models.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:10 PM

Hence why allowing time to mature is the way to go. A full hybrids bring a lot of risk with them such as a massive jump in MSRP among other things.
To stay competitive and relevant, mild hybrids are the way to go currently.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM

Aside from the higher production costs, I also think weight limitations are going to play a big factor in how quickly we see hybrid variants enter the market. I cant imagine it being easy to develop a hybrid system in a vehicle that already weighs around 4,000lbs.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Greater use of Carbon Fiber is the way of the future.

Thankfully GMC was the first to do it. I know Ford wants to but like chess, making the right move and when, can't be emphasized enough
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah lighter composite materials and the fact that many components such as the engine, transfer case and axels, which are now all being made out of aluminum. I think once we see a shift to solid state batteries, that should significantly reduce their overall weight.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page