post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Chevy ZR2 Bison headed for production

So it looks like Chevy will be releasing a production version of the ZR2 concept, that was built in partnership with American Expedition Vehicles. Dubbed the ZR2 Bison, the new pickup will be a hardcore off-road version of the Colorado ZR2, aimed to rival that of Fords Raptor line. This new trim is rumored to be available in showrooms soon, likely as a 2018 model year vehicle. The concept featured a 2.8 liter Duramax diesel engine, but its expected to also be available with a 3.6 liter diesel or gasoline option. Pricing for the Colorado ZR2 sits around $42,000 and its been estimated that the ZR2 Bison will cost around $45,500. A fully outfitted AEV model is likely to run you closer to $50,000.

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Can a 2.8 liter Duramax or a 3.6 liter diesel really compete against the Ford F-150 Raptor? I'm not a fan of that pickup,but even I have to admit the EcoBoost engine is a beast. WE'll be the judge when someone published a Chevy ZR2 Bison dyno chart to see how much power it gets and where it comes in.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Well it looks like its at least going to match on the entry level price of the Raptor, and it seems like its going to have a more extensive options list. It's also coming standard with 35-inch BF Goodrich KM2 Mud-Terrain tires, which are definitely largely than the stock setup on Fords performance trim. If we look to the Z2 concept that this vehicle is based on, we know that its going to have more than 181hp and 369 lb-ft of torque.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Until we get confirmation of a U.S Ranger Raptor, its not going to take much to match the performance of the turbo diesel. This is supposed to sit as a performance trim of the Colorado, so it wont have to compete with the likes of the F150 Raptor.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I'm curious to see what options will be included on the base model of this truck and what will require additional spending. I know Toyota's new TRD Tundra is coming standard with a snorkel, and that looks to be a growing trend on performance trims. Most of the time they are meant to combat dust, not water.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:12 AM

Not the Bison, but another modded Chevy Colorado ZR2 from Holden Special Vehicles would pose a challenge to the Ranger Raptor. Not sure what the ZR2 has under the hood, but it could be a rival if the 3.6-liter gasoline V6 is tuned to produce more torque to g with the factory provided 308 hp.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM

This concept is pretty impressive, but its unfortunate that a tuning company had to step in to bring out a proper performance variant of the Colorado. Don't know why Chevy doesn't seem interested in releasing a proper trim to rival the Raptor. At least HSV is a well known and reputable tuning company, so that wont deter any interest in these new models.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 PM

I'm happy enough with the current Z71 package. With the new Silverado generation among us now i'm confident we'll see something more.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Personally I think the new design of the Silverado is going to hurt interest. Not sure exactly what Chevy was thinking with that new front fascia. The Colorado is a fantastic midsize pickup though, and I'm eager to see what performance variants we'll get from Holden.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Personally I think the new design of the Silverado is going to hurt interest. Not sure exactly what Chevy was thinking with that new front fascia. The Colorado is a fantastic midsize pickup though, and I'm eager to see what performance variants we'll get from Holden.
That's your opinion but what it really comes down to is the greater public that will be buying them.
Often the construction sites I pass by daily have more GM products than anything else which says a lot IMO.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page