post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Ford Ranger XLT Supercab at AAS

Just came across this walk around of the Ranger XLT from the Alabama Auto Show. Wish it had some footage of the interior, as some of the pics we've seen from other shows have indicated that even the Supercab model has fairly restrictive back seats. Imo Ford could have made more significant changes to the platform seeing as how its been out for 7 years already.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 AM

Supercab seats were never made to be spacious, can barely fit a child in there so I have no idea what purpose they have. May as well go for the full four doors instead of going between that and the two seater.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Supercab seats were never made to be spacious, can barely fit a child in there so I have no idea what purpose they have. May as well go for the full four doors instead of going between that and the two seater.
Fortunately that seems to be normal for this segment because if you look at models like the Chevrolet Canyon/Colorado and even the Tacoma, they can be quite restrictive. I think this might have bene for insurance purposes and a few others that are minor in nature to how real owners plan on using these. Similar to what's done with other segments.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:58 AM

Pickups we're never meant to be the luxury vehicles that they have slowly become. They used to be rugged, bare bones work vehicles, and even with the modernization of the cabin, they still aren't really designed for hauling people.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 08:55 AM

They're a lot better these days with secure seating for everyone and all that new technology the 5th gen Ranger has. Heck, I remember an old pickup from my childhood where the AC and radio didn't work properly and the front seat bench fit three people. In hindsight, I probably wasn't supposed to sit in the middle, but they were the epitome of utility vehicles that were bare bones and versatile.
What we have these days are pretty luxurious to me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I for one miss the bench seating upfront and I'm pretty sure that the seatbelts were waist only. Luckily it does look like you can sit a little more front facing in the rear seats in the new model, as I remember the only real way to sit in previous generations was sideways.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:55 AM

If it's the supercab, you'll still need to slant your legs to the side unless it's the kids back there. But you made due back then even though it was a tight fit. Doubt anyone would bring back the bench seats for safety reasons, though you can sit in the back to relive those glory days.
Honestly can't see why someone would go the supercab route unless they want to fit 3 more people for as little as possible.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Pickups we're never meant to be the luxury vehicles that they have slowly become. They used to be rugged, bare bones work vehicles, and even with the modernization of the cabin, they still aren't really designed for hauling people.
You'd be surprised by how many people buy these as SUV alternatives which makes perfect sense considering that millennials are becoming the biggest demographic of car buyers. Naturally with that comes people who need generous cabin space, great storage, but without all the bulk of some SUV's out here.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:05 AM

Well imo it really doesn't make any sense to buy a pickup, if you have no need to actually use it as one. There are much better vehicles to be found in terms of cabin space, unless you have no problem going with the most expensive SuperCrew trim. I suppose once we see an implementation of hybrid powertrains that they will become much more practical for the average person.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page