post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Australian Rangers Tested

Just came across this video that demonstrates just how capable the new Ranger platform is, off road and in water. Hopefully we get some similar performance tests for the U.S spec'd models.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Pretty cool vid, although there isn't much involved in equipping a truck with a snorkel if you plan on taking it through deeper water. Does go to show how well sealed everything is though, with lighting instruments being submerged for hours on end.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Looks like there is a whole series with similar tests called the Science of Tough for anyone who is interested. I know there have been tweaks to the platform for the U.S bound Ranger, but otherwise the platforms are identical.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 AM

I believe that the Wildtrak has class leading water wading, and I would imagine that the Raptor has similar capability? Don't know how useful this feature will be to North American owners, but I suppose its always better to have it and not need it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 AM

They should just hand the Ranger to The Grand Tour and have the guys go at it like they did with the Toyota Hilux. The tight seals will be handy if you're one to go off-roading in areas with deep water and it'll also come in handy in case of flood depending on where you live. So many cars die when that happens.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

I wish the guys on the grand tour would test more trucks, not a lot of sense in testing super cars that only a select few will actually be able to purchase. Here's another segment from the series that focuses on the Rangers towing capability.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 AM

Do we know how much has changed in the global version of the Ranger? I know the main change between the two is that the bumpers on the NA model are steel and are mounted directly to the frame for superior durability and crashworthiness. Just curious how applicable all these tests will be for interested North American buyers.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Think the perfromanve variant's powertrains are different too. The global Ranger Raptor is offered with a 2.0-liter twin-turbocharged diesel engine and the Ranger FX4 for North America gets a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM

Top Gear should put Ford's tough claim to the test and put it through the battery of tests that Toyota Helix had to go through. Death by fire, water, falling building, etc.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 09:12 AM

I wonder if the results of these tests would be any different with a gasoline engine as opposed to the turbo diesel. Probably be a noticeable different in torque off the line. I believe the NA variant also has slightly increased ride height and factory skid plates. Is there a video of that Helix testing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page