1Likes
  • 1 Post By FoMoCoFan

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

2.3L Ecoboost Tuning Numbers for Existing Vehicles

Here is what I'm seeing for ECU tunes on stock Mustangs and Explorers with the 2.3L Ecoboost engine...

Mustang: +90 HP / +90 TQ
Explorer: +68 HP / +88 TQ

I assume both of those numbers are with 93 octane fuel, but I'm sure the numbers are still pretty solid with lower octane fuel too. In addition to the performance increase the ECU tunes will likely be able to tweak the transmission a bit, for those who what more aggressive shift points and firmer shifts. Lots of companies offer these tunes once a vehicle is available for a while, they usually cost around $600-700, and they can easily be installed or uninstalled by the owner in about 10 minutes. When I ran one with my 2013 SHO it turned it into a whole different vehicle, without any other modifications, and I had zero concerns about vehicle reliability or warranty issues.

Just figured I'd toss this info out there since I'm sure tuning these trucks will be a big thing as soon as people start buying them.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 08:00 AM

Good to know that Ford is fairly accommodating of aftermarket tunes. Haven't done it on a previous vehicle, but I am considering it for the Ranger. Those are some great gains for the price.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:01 AM

I personally wouldn't ever tune a vehicle without swapping in at least a few higher performance components. Lets just hope that the Ranger gets the proper aftermarket support it needs. What company did you get your ECU tune through for the SHO?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

On most vehicle I'd prefer to do the same, but in the case of these Ecoboost engines they seem to be tuned down enough that they do great with just a tune. For example, with the 3.5L guys were getting over 600 HP with stock internals...just bolt-on mods like meth injection, down-pipes, exhausts upgraded turbos, etc (CAIs are a waste of money and guys actually lost HP on the dyno with them). The hurdle with the 3.5L around 600 HP was the fuel system, the stock system just maxed out around that point and I think Ford addressed this with port injection. I sort of stopped following that hunt for more power after I sold my SHO.

The two big tuners at that time were Unleashed and Livernois Motorsports. I went with Livernois and I was beyond happy with the power and overall performance gains. The car ran a 13.499 bone stock (all-season tires and no track prep) and I'm sure it was in the low 13s, at least, with the tune. It was a fun car and I enjoyed surprising the **** out of people in performance cars with a 'Taurus' but at the end of the day I needed a truck and I didn't want two vehicle payments.

I'm also curious to see what the aftermarket offerings look like once the Ranger is released. That will definitely play a roll in my decision, since I do need a truck with a little extra ground clearance. I assume some of the stuff from existing Rangers will work, maybe with some minor modifications. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:59 AM

I think that suspension kits are a given, and odds are we'll also see some ECU remaps. Not expecting the Ranger to break any 1/4 mile times, but people are still going to be interested in maxing out its capabilities. This new pickup is likely going to be the foundation of the upcoming Bronco as well, so it needs to succeed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharvey79 View Post
On most vehicle I'd prefer to do the same, but in the case of these Ecoboost engines they seem to be tuned down enough that they do great with just a tune. For example, with the 3.5L guys were getting over 600 HP with stock internals...just bolt-on mods like meth injection, down-pipes, exhausts upgraded turbos, etc (CAIs are a waste of money and guys actually lost HP on the dyno with them). The hurdle with the 3.5L around 600 HP was the fuel system, the stock system just maxed out around that point and I think Ford addressed this with port injection. I sort of stopped following that hunt for more power after I sold my SHO.

The two big tuners at that time were Unleashed and Livernois Motorsports. I went with Livernois and I was beyond happy with the power and overall performance gains. The car ran a 13.499 bone stock (all-season tires and no track prep) and I'm sure it was in the low 13s, at least, with the tune. It was a fun car and I enjoyed surprising the **** out of people in performance cars with a 'Taurus' but at the end of the day I needed a truck and I didn't want two vehicle payments.

I'm also curious to see what the aftermarket offerings look like once the Ranger is released. That will definitely play a roll in my decision, since I do need a truck with a little extra ground clearance. I assume some of the stuff from existing Rangers will work, maybe with some minor modifications. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
I hate to say it give their past but Hennessey Performance might be up for consideration seeing how hard they're pushing on bringing great products to American OE products
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:56 AM

They do provide some incredible gains, but I'm still hearing mixed things about the reliability of their kits. Don't think there is much need to add more than 50 or so horsepower to the Ranger. COBB is another tuner worth looking at.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:57 PM

From what I realized is that you need to be a hands on owner or have the money to pay shops you trust after going to these tuning companies. Issues like check engine lights being on is one of them and not everyone takes it well after letting someone work on their vehicle.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

With the Livernois tun on my SHO all I did was send them my strategy code. Once the tuner came in the mail I plugged it in to the OBD2 port, followed the on-screen prompts and it was ready to go in about 10 minutes. Never had any issues with CELs or anything like that and I drove the **** out of the car on a daily basis, hammer down ever time I was first in line at a light. I can't say enough good things about Livernois Motorsports, never heard any issues with their stuff that wasn't related to user error.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmharvey79 View Post
With the Livernois tun on my SHO all I did was send them my strategy code. Once the tuner came in the mail I plugged it in to the OBD2 port, followed the on-screen prompts and it was ready to go in about 10 minutes. Never had any issues with CELs or anything like that and I drove the **** out of the car on a daily basis, hammer down ever time I was first in line at a light. I can't say enough good things about Livernois Motorsports, never heard any issues with their stuff that wasn't related to user error.
you know its common for good industry tech's looking for competitive wages to get hired at those shops, experience as a Ford tech gives them a massive edge.
so now you have all that knowledge and resources without constraints of a dealership management system. seen many great tuners/service shops today travel that route.
dmharvey79 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page