post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Only one engine and transmission

Which is fine by me, but some people may not be as fan of the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and 10-speed automatic transmission combo, but I think it makes shopping a lot easier. Though the lack of a manual may bother some people.

Thoughts? Would this turn you away?
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 PM

Their 10-speed automatic transmission has proven itself to be reliable. But there will certainly be fans of the old Rangers who wouldn't consider buying without a manual option. I would have to agree that Ford certainly limited the amount of interest this truck could have, by removing an option that was so loved in previous models.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Interestingly enough, the Ranger Raptor was tested with 12- and even 13-speed gearboxes before Ford settled on the same 10-speed transmission as the normal Ranger. 10 already seems like a lot to me, though who am I to argue when Ford engineers say it meets performance and refinement benchmarks. They even tried 7 and 9 gear configurations.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
Interestingly enough, the Ranger Raptor was tested with 12- and even 13-speed gearboxes before Ford settled on the same 10-speed transmission as the normal Ranger. 10 already seems like a lot to me, though who am I to argue when Ford engineers say it meets performance and refinement benchmarks. They even tried 7 and 9 gear configurations.
Odds are it was more of a move to stay on par with rival brands than to leap ahead too soon. 10 speed transmissions are all the rage these days and its what meets most mileage targets with the right low displacement engines. Already Ford is getting 30MPG's highway with pickups which is impressive, its what the upcoming diesel F150 gets.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM

Yeah I'm just not sure if adding additional gears would benefit an engine at all, with regular city/highway driving. 10 gears already seems like an unnecessary amount, but with the fuel economy it provides, its not surprising to see it become the standard across pickups. I guess all of these high gear configurations really suggest that manuals are on their way out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 AM

More gears just gives the engineers more spread to work with, like making the first gear shorter for better acceleration from a stop and top gears for better fuel economy. The extra gears will let Ford power larger vehicles with smaller and more economical engines. But at 13 seems a bit much to me.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 PM

Well the fact that Ford did consider a 13 speed transmission for the Ranger Raptor makes it a worthy reason to look into. For all we know they might have reasons to introduce it during a mid production cycle refresh.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 AM

There's little reason for Ford to increase the amount of gears later in the Rangers lifecycle. I think they have found the sweet spot with 10, in terms of driveability and performance. From what I've been reading about the 10 speed transmission is that most drivers wont even get the vehicle up to the speeds required for the later gears.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
There's little reason for Ford to increase the amount of gears later in the Rangers lifecycle. I think they have found the sweet spot with 10, in terms of driveability and performance. From what I've been reading about the 10 speed transmission is that most drivers wont even get the vehicle up to the speeds required for the later gears.
I guess if they can keep up with the future goals they have for power and range, then there's no need. From what I seen it that car maker still have a lot of improvements left to make in gasoline engines... in the coming years it won't be surprising to see that become the new focus.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 AM

What do we think the chances are that Ford will expand upon the powertrain options anytime soon? Seeing as how the Raptor variant is only putting out 200hp, I think its safe to assume that the Ranger will offer less. I know with pickups that torque is generally more important, just not sure how many people will be interested in the Ranger, when there are other vehicles in the segment offering an additional 100hp.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page