post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Question Engine Break-In Threshold

Heard from some tech's on how vital it is to not change your oil too soon due to all the additives typically added from the factory. Apparently this goes a long way to support the break-in process. On the flip side some owners change oil much sooner to help get rid of metal shavings. How does this compare to what you guys heard?

I'm asking these questions this soon so once the 2019 Ranger arrives, there's no question about how I should proceed, just all educated decisions.

Looking forward to everyone's feedback.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM

I'd say just follow the owner's manual on when to perform your first oil change. From what I know, most pickups are fine with 500 to 1,000 miles of break-in and this is for driving, though this is dependent on the automaker.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:21 PM

I mean I guess this will vary depending upon whether or not Ford recommends using synthetic in the Rangers new engine. From what I've read Ford seems to suggest using a multi-grade oil in the F150 due to its wider temperature operating range. I suppose if your Ranger is being widely used to tow and transport, you might want to opt for the more expensive route.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 12:45 PM

Perhaps it'll be similar to the F-150, which means you can't do any heavy towing or hauling the first 1,000 miles. Simply put, just take it easy at the beginning for the drivelines sake.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good to me. I will make sure to work the transmission in enough so come time to tow it won't be a big shock to the system. Still, come time for reviews and how those guys will be testing these with towing, it will be hard not to start towing with it right out the gate. Maybe I can be gentle on it while towing, more so off the line rather than when momentum is picked up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 AM

I think telling truck guys to "take it easy" with towing and hauling right out of the gate is going to losing battle. Sure these trucks have a break in process, but I can almost guarantee that new buyers are going to want to see exactly what this truck is capable of, once they get behind the wheel. Hopefully early reviewers are able to test this trucks limits, so early adopters know just what to expect.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I think telling truck guys to "take it easy" with towing and hauling right out of the gate is going to losing battle. Sure these trucks have a break in process, but I can almost guarantee that new buyers are going to want to see exactly what this truck is capable of, once they get behind the wheel. Hopefully early reviewers are able to test this trucks limits, so early adopters know just what to expect.
Why would it be a losing battle to ask truck guys to do that? At the end of the day everyone wants the best for their brand new vehicle. It just depends on what information they're getting. For some its a very soft break in, for others they're more into intermittent driving in higher RPM ranges.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:15 AM

I think he was implying that when you get a new truck, it's difficult in the early days not to test exactly what you've bought in to. Shouldn't be too much of an ask to wait the average 600 mile/1,000 km break in period. I'm hoping once we can get some confirmation on pricing, we'll learn more about the warranty packages available with the truck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:27 PM

The waiting period during break in is going to be tough, but I assume most owners will know better than to leave the dealership at high revs and a heavy trailer. Once the owner's manual is out, we'll know more as the break in period is usually listed in there.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page